Return to Normal View

DOE Homepage Students Educators Community Family Administrators and Staff

Florida Department of Education

DOE Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  Frequently Asked Questions  

Text Index Google Custom Search
Hide Answers

Florida Colleges

All · DCF Fee Exemptions · General Information · Homeless Fee Exemption · Military Service & Residency · Purple Heart Waivers · Student Housing

Purple Heart Waivers

1. What is the Purple Heart Waiver?
    The Purple Heart Waiver is found in Florida law. It provides tuition and fee waivers for Florida military veterans who have received a purple heart OR combat decoration that is “superior in precedence.” To be eligible, you must prove you are a current resident for tuition purposes.

2. What medals are “superior in precedence?”
    Here is a list of medals that would fall under the “superior in precedence” criteria:
  • Purple Heart
  • Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
  • Distinguished Flying Cross
  • Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
  • Silver Star
  • Air Force Cross
  • Navy Cross
  • Distinguished Service Cross
  • Medal of Honor

3. What does the waiver cover?
    The Purple Heart Waiver covers the tuition and fees toward a degree or certificate program up to 110% of the required hours for the program of study. An eligible student enrolled in any associate degree, baccalaureate degree, or career and technical certificate program at a Florida College System institution would qualify.

4. What sorts of costs are NOT covered by this waiver?
    This waiver covers tuition and fees only. This means that you will be required to pay for other costs, such as textbooks, housing and food.

The waiver does not cover tuition and fees after students earn 110 percent of the required credit hours for their programs of study.

5. Do I need to be a full-time student to receive the waiver?
    No. You can be a full-time or part-time student to receive this waiver.

6. Am I eligible for the waiver if I’m a non-degree seeking student?
    No. You must be enrolled in a certificate or degree program.

7. What paperwork do I need?
    To determine eligibility for the waiver, you must submit documents showing you received the Purple Heart and were a Florida resident at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the combat decoration.

Here are examples of the type of documentation you may need:

  • DD-214 form, military separation document
  • DD-2058 form, military state of legal residence certificate
  • Leave and Earning Statement (LES) or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service(DFAS) Form 702, which specifies place of residence
  • Letter or affidavit from the military administrative office verifying residence at the time of combat
  • One or more state or federal documents evidencing legal ties to Florida (e.g., homestead exemption, driver’s license, vehicle registration, voter id).

Work with your college to determine what paperwork you should submit. To determine eligibility for the waiver, you also need to be a current Florida resident. The requirements for Florida residency for tuition purposes are set forth in Florida law. Find out more!

8. Are active duty military personnel eligible for this waiver?
    Yes. Certain active duty military personnel may be eligible for this waiver. Contact your college if you’re interested in learning more.

9. Are there other financial aid opportunities available to veterans?
    Yes. Contact your college’s financial aid office for additional financial aid opportunities.